--with-[doc|html]-dir vs --docdir/htmldir

Michael Biebl mbiebl at gmail.com
Sun Apr 1 12:15:19 PDT 2007

Hi all,

autoconf-2.59 defines the variables $docdir and $htmldir (amongst
others) [1] yet we set our own $DOCDIR variable using AC_ARG_WITH and
the same goes for html-dir (in gtk-doc.make).
This is rather confusing and inconsistent. Just run ./configure --help
and you'll know what I mean.
Imo we should go with the autconf variables (raising AC_PREREQ to
2.59) instead of defining our own stuff.
(The same is true for PolicyKit/ConsoleKit)

Comments?

Michael

[1] http://www.gnu.org/software/autoconf/manual/html_node/Installation-Directory-Variables.html#Installation-Directory-Variables
universe are pointed away from Earth?