extend support for Motorola Phones with iTunes support (was Re: hal: Branch 'master')

Danny Kukawka danny.kukawka at web.de
Sat Apr 7 12:30:18 PDT 2007

On Samstag, 7. April 2007, David Zeuthen wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-04-06 at 21:05 +0200, Danny Kukawka wrote:
> (Btw, this should also be originating_device instead of physical_device)

Fixed.

> > > Please don't match on info.product; instead match on usb.product since I
> > > think that is what you mean. Thanks!
> >
> > No, this was not what I meant. I used info.product to not change usb.product while copy
> > the information from real phone device which is not the parent of device we identify as
> > music player,
>
> Just curious, why do we do that?

Because we need information from the noserial device, which contains the
complete name of the device (e.g. 'Motorola Phone (V3i)'). This allow us
to identify the device and the ipod/iTunes capabilities all subdevices don't
provide this information.

> > but the parent of the storage device which is the parent of the device:
> >
> > noserial
> >  -> storage device (copy from @info.parent:usb_device.product to info.product)
> >     -> music player (check for @storage.physical_device:info.product)
> >
> > Any other idea? Should we change usb.product (which is may needed in other tools
> > unchanged).
>
> I'm not sure I understand; is
>
>  usb_device.product (e.g. the USB device)
>
> different from
>
>  usb.product (e.g. on the USB interface)
>
> on that phone?

Yes then usb_device.product contains e.g. ('Motorola Phone (L7 iTunes)') and
usb.product is e.g. 'USB Mass Storage Interface' on the USB interface

> Can you attach lshal output? Thanks!

No, I have no lshal from such a machine, I have no such device available.
But you can take a look at http://abock.org/~aaron/slvr-hal-dump.

We copy from device (7) usb_device.product to info.product of device (6).
Then we check on device (1) for the string in info.product of device (6)
we search for to identify ipod/iTunes. Yes it is may ugly, but it's the
only way to do this.

Danny