addon-input starts twice for input devices with key and switch bit set

Danny Kukawka danny.kukawka at web.de
Tue Apr 10 02:42:47 PDT 2007

On Dienstag, 10. April 2007, Robert Gerlach wrote:
> On Tuesday 10 April 2007 10:17:56 Danny Kukawka wrote:
> > On Dienstag, 10. April 2007, Robert Gerlach wrote:
[...]
> > > There is no official kernel support for the tablet stuff, my current
> > > devel version is there:
> > >
> > > http://www.khnz.de/fsc_btns/
> >
> > Okay, I take a look at this. I have here a T3010 somewhere on my desk and
> > may it work also with this machine.
>
> Don't known. Haven't found anything about this device on the net
> (engeniered by playing ;) ). Hope it works for the hole T-Series.

IIRC FujitsuSiemens has already a driver for these devices. The point is this
part of hardware is security relevant because you can e.g. lock the hole
machine with the panel. Not sure if FSC is that happy about the driver ;-)

> > > Another question, it seems that it's impossible for hal to handle two
> > > or more switch events (button with state) from one input device (but
> > > it's possible in the kernel). If it right?
> >
> > What do you mean exactly?
>
> input_test_switch in hald/linux/device.c and probe_input.c looks for one
> switch bit (if ... else  if ...) and set the button properies (button.type,
> button.has_state, button.state.value). But its possible to register
> multiple switches to one input device (for example tablet_mode and
> headphone_insert). It can't handled by hal, or miss I something?
> I think it's better to use button.<name>.has_state and button.<name>.value
> (or so) and change button.type to a list.

Hm, not sure about this. It would mean we have to change the whole stuff in
HAL and may depending applications need to change also. I can't remember that
there is currently any device in the kernel with more than one switch. ACPI
e.g. provide a extra input event device only for the lid switch. IMO this is
the way to go. For what do you need more than one switch on your machine?

Danny