PolicyKit releases and !AWOL

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Thu Dec 6 08:19:05 PST 2007

On Thu, 2007-12-06 at 17:13 +0100, Michael Biebl wrote:
> 2007/12/6, David Zeuthen <david at fubar.dk>:
> > Hi,
>
> Hi
>

> > First sorry for not being more active on the list. Been busy with lots
> > and lots of stuff including PolicyKit and trying to put my thoughts down
> > about the next major version of HAL (basically a rewrite, more on that
> > soon!).
>
> TBH, sentences like that scare me a little bit.

That's fine, that's the reaction I get from most people which is
expected. The interface (apart form syntax) won't change a lot; a lot of
the internals will. But more on that later.

> PK-gnome failes to compile with -Wl,--as-needed, a -lpolkit-grant is missing.
> Please find the attached patch.

I know that in PolicyKit we set these automatically. How about a patch
to do the same for PK-gnome? Thanks.

> > Also, packagers should be careful, there's a few new setgid helpers; the
> > blurb at the end of ./configure should be useful. And here's the Fedora
> > spec files for reference
>
> "polkit-set-default-helper" seems to be missing in the blurb at the
> end of ./configure.

I'll fix that.

> The PK changelog mentions as highlight, that the glib dependency was removed.
> Instead you implemented your on sortof glib, called libkit.
> I don't see the real benefit here, smells a bit of NIH. glib is a
> rather well tested lib and already used in the utopia stack. Could you
> elaborate a bit on that decision?

Sure. Two things.

First, in order for libpolkit to be useful in projects like dbus
(specifically the bus) and X.org it needs to handle OOM. And glib can't
do that; the glib API is not designed to do that. And that's fine.

Seriously, libkit is 4700 lines of C including 100% doc coverage and 91%
test coverage. It's hardly reinventing glib.

      David