Power-management issues

Fulko Hew fulko.hew at gmail.com
Fri Dec 21 06:13:47 PST 2007

On Dec 21, 2007 8:59 AM, Phil Dibowitz <phil at ipom.com> wrote:

> Holger Macht wrote:
> > On Thu 20. Dec - 18:16:42, Phil Dibowitz wrote:
> >> (re-send, my first one didn't go through, as I wasn't subscribed)
> >>
> >> I have a Dell Latitude C400 and whenever my laptop suspends, my screen
> never
> >> powers back on.

I don't know if this is your issue or not, but it is mine...

I have a Dell Inspiron 6400/1505, and when coming out of suspend
my 'screen never powers back on' either.

Well thats not exactly true.
The real symptoms (when I examine the system _very_ closely
under a lot of conditions) are two fold:

1/ does the backlight turn back on,
2/ Is the screen re-painted with something.

I find that my backlight does turn back on, but my screen
is rarely re-painted, so it 'seems' as though my screen never
powers back on.

I did my tests in a dark room, so I could see the back light
leaking through a black screen, and when it comes out of
suspend, I see its dim flicker behind that black screen.

So now my issue is how do I get the screen refreshed?

In my case I disable the screen inactivity lock, so when
the laptop un-suspends, there is nothing running that
detects the unsuspend to cause _anything_ to change
on the display.

The only way I can get the X display to repaint is to flip
to a text screen and flip back to the X server
(ie. Ctl-Alt-F1 and then Alt-F7)

When I did have the screen lock turned on, it seems
that the screen lock program received a signal (just
as if it was a key press or mouse-move) that caused
X to un blank and paint the password prompt dialog box.
And that was good enough to re-paint the screen.

So in my case... coming out of suspend, I wish there
was a notification to X (at the appropriate time) to
tell it to re-paint the screen.