Power-management issues

Phil Dibowitz phil at ipom.com
Sat Dec 22 21:49:38 PST 2007

On Sat, Dec 22, 2007 at 04:54:15PM +0100, Sjoerd Simons wrote:
> > > Did you already had a look at http://opensuse.org/s2ram? This might help
> > > in case you're using userspace suspend.

OK, so first of all, my machine had suspend2 installed. I yanked that inst
installed uswsusp instead.

Now I get slightly different behavior. When I suspend, now my powerlight turns
off. With suspend2, my harddrive spun down, the fan turned off and the monitor
turned off, but the power light stayed on. With uswsusp, the power light turns
off.

However, when I attempt to de-resume, my harddrive spins up, and the fan turns
on, but my screen backlight still doesn't come on, and my machine isn't fully
resumed in some other sense as well - or so I gather since I did 's2ram' from
vt1 where I was logged in as root... after resume, despite no monitor, I typed
'reboot' and hit enter, and the machine didn't do anything (like reboot), so
presumably it wasn't "fully resumed minus the display".

I re-tried all of the pm-suspend/s2ram options, as well as booting with
noapic, nolapic, and various others (I haven't actually gone through every
combination of all of the kernel boot options listed on the site, yet). So,
I'm still basically in the same boat.

Phil Dibowitz                             phil at ipom.com
Open Source software and tech docs        Insanity Palace of Metallica

"Never write it in C if you can do it in 'awk';
 Never do it in 'awk' if 'sed' can handle it;
 Never use 'sed' when 'tr' can do the job;
 Never invoke 'tr' when 'cat' is sufficient;
 Avoid using 'cat' whenever possible" -- Taylor's Laws of Programming