HAL and INPUT

Bastien Nocera hadess at hadess.net
Sun Jul 8 05:37:52 PDT 2007

On Thu, 2007-07-05 at 15:06 +0100, Richard Hughes wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-07-05 at 15:50 +0200, Arnaud Quette wrote:
> > [adding the LIRC list]
> >
> > 2007/7/3, Richard Hughes <hughsient at gmail.com>:
> > > Or we can rip out all the input parts from HAL (but keep keymap) and
> > > just reply on querying XOrg for buttons and state.
> > >
> > > Comments please,
> >
> > as a side note, I'm also interested in this, since I'm considering the
> > inclusion of Remote Controls support through LIRC. Any input welcome.
>
> LIRC is userspace. Is it possible for LIRC to squirt the data back to
> the kernel using uinput and then we can all just use INPUT or X?

That's what it should be doing. The only problem is the per-application
bindings won't be easy, but I guess you could work around that with:
- a training program (bindings remote buttons to specific application
functions)
- a list of application bindings (what bindings each application allows,
would be even better to use an introspection mechanism so that apps
could tell you which bindings they support).

--
Bastien Nocera <hadess at hadess.net>