HAL and INPUT

Daniel Stone daniel.stone at nokia.com
Mon Jul 9 06:32:02 PDT 2007

On Mon, Jul 09, 2007 at 03:29:14PM +0200, ext Danny Kukawka wrote:
> On Montag, 9. Juli 2007, Daniel Stone wrote:
> > Well, distribution installers all ask for your keyboard layout, so yes,
> > somewhat.
>
> I meant detect this from the hardware and not from the installer. Changing the
> fdi-file via the installer wouldn't work because if you install a HAL update
> the settings get may overwritten. So it would be may better to set nothing in
> the HAL/hal-info packages and set this on an other way (may via a special new
> fdi-file under /etc/... , but XML sucks (IMO) and not each installer want to
> add code to parse and change XML fdi-files).

In the general case, no, but there are some cases where you can detect
the layout from the hardware.

I can see that you think that XML sucks, but given that the alternative
is hardcoding the default into a binary (vim =Xorg, hope that your new
layout is also two characters), and that we're already going to have the
information in HAL anyway ...

(Plus, putting it in X is also a poor idea because cool projects like
 cxkb exist, to let the console use XKB maps.  I know Ubuntu was
 considering using this at one stage.)

Cheers,
Daniel