problems with HAL and input devices

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Wed Jul 25 18:17:58 PDT 2007

> I'm attempting to get my keyboard to work as specified at:
>
>  http://people.freedesktop.org/~hughsient/quirk/
>
> In querying HAL, the "Thinkpad Extra Buttons" never appears to show up
> as a property of the device in lshal. Looking at the code, it was looking
> in the wrong place for properties.
>
> So, I cooked up the attached patch. However, with this change... hal now
> denies that the proper input device exists - it opens it, reads the properties,
> etc... but it never shows up in lshal.

The kernel broke ABI, usually event%d was a child device of input%d,
e.g. like this

 /sys/class/input0/event0/

but with the conversion of input to struct device, it's now

 /sys/class/input0
 /sys/class/event0

and that freaks out HAL. So I guess that's why. Kay says that there's a
patch for this somewhere and that another option is just to use avoid
using CONFIG_SYSFS_DEPRECATED=y. Kay?

     David