problems with HAL and input devices

Kay Sievers kay.sievers at vrfy.org
Wed Jul 25 18:49:09 PDT 2007

On Wed, 2007-07-25 at 21:17 -0400, David Zeuthen wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-07-23 at 12:19 -0400, Bill Nottingham wrote:
> > I'm attempting to get my keyboard to work as specified at:
> >
> >  http://people.freedesktop.org/~hughsient/quirk/
> >
> > In querying HAL, the "Thinkpad Extra Buttons" never appears to show up
> > as a property of the device in lshal. Looking at the code, it was looking
> > in the wrong place for properties.

>  with the conversion of input to struct device, it's now
>
>  /sys/class/input0
>  /sys/class/event0

Right, that changed with the conversion, but should look like the same
to userspace by following the "device" links. Not sure, why it was done
this way, the original conversion didn't change that, I think.

> Kay says that there's a patch for this somewhere

It's a bug sneaked in from another patch while merging. It prevents the
creation of the device link to construct the parent relationship.
It is:

If that doesn't work for you, let me know and I will contact the input
maintainer and see what we need to do.

> and that another option is just to use avoid using CONFIG_SYSFS_DEPRECATED=y.

Sure, that will just work, and also add some more information to sysfs
that may be needed in the future. I'm also not testing
CONFIG_SYSFS_DEPRECATED kernels for new udev releases anymore.

Kay