Proposal: Deprecate portable_audio_player.access_method

Jeff Mitchell kde-dev at emailgoeshere.com
Mon Jun 4 06:09:48 PDT 2007

Wanted to toss this out to people:

With the portable_audio_player.access_method.(protocols, drivers) keys (not up
on the official site, a build of current documentation from git is at
http://jefferai.com/stuff/hal-spec.html#device-properties-portable_audio_player ),
there's no longer really a need to have the plain old
portable_audio_player.access_method.  Importantly, this key can be outright
misleading, as some devices can be both (such as Rockbox devices, which can
use both "storage" and "ipod" protocols), and an application may skip
checking the portable_audio_player.access_method.protocols key if they see
that a device has been marked as "storage" in
portable_audio_player.access_method.  So I propose it be deprecated in favor
of simply using the .protocols and .drivers keys, which contain the same
information without this limitation.

That being said, would it then be best to change

portable_audio_player.access_method.(protocols, drivers)

portable_audio_player.(protocols, drivers)?

It does still make sense to have it under access_method, I just don't know if
that's "weird" if there's no top-level access_method key.

--Jeff