[patches] Add dmi kernel class support into HAL

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Tue Jun 5 08:05:15 PDT 2007

On Mon, 2007-06-04 at 18:55 +0100, Richard Hughes wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-06-04 at 17:01 +0200, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> > lspci and lsusb maintain ther databases outside of the kernel. And I
> > think this case is not that different.
>
> Patch attached. Please review.

How does this cope with some of the dmi sysfs files only being readable
by uid 0? Or has that changed?

Personally I think it's a bit silly if only uid 0 can read the UUID /
serial number etc. - if you want to go down that road there's plenty of
other things that needs fixing

 - USB serial numbers
 - Disk serial numbers (look in /dev/disk/*)
 - Firewire
 - etc.

If you need to be uid 0 to get this, we need to collect the values of
the sysfs file from a prober (running as uid 0) since the main hal
daemon runs doesn't run as uid 0.

(Also, I think it's spelled 'deprecated', not 'depricated' - or maybe
the latter is a British thing :-)

      David