working with pciutils-2.2.4

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Mon Jun 18 13:05:24 PDT 2007

On Mon, 2007-06-18 at 15:39 -0400, Mike Frysinger wrote:
> On Monday 18 June 2007, David Zeuthen wrote:
> > On Sat, 2007-06-16 at 07:56 -0400, Mike Frysinger wrote:
> > > i looked through the history of the file (hald/ids.c) and going back to
> > > the pre-mmap commit and adding transparent support for reading a .gz file
> > > via zlib is trivial (since mmap obviously wont work), but i'd like to see
> > > what direction the code will actually go before spinning cycles on work
> > > that goes in a different direction and thus wont be accepted ;).
> >
> > Right, TBH I don't really see any point in using a gzipped pci.ids file
> > at all; it's a trade-off where you trade disk space for dirty memory
> > usage and as such it doesn't make sense on neither embedded nor desktop
> > systems since you're much more interested in keeping memory use down on
> > both such systems vs. saving around 300-400k of disk space...
>
> perhaps, but that's the direction pciutils has gone ... so something like "if
> pci.ids.gz exists, then decompress it into a cache file and mmap that" would
> be the direction for hal to go ?

It would need to happen outside of HAL - at which point it becomes
completely moot to even distribute pci.ids.gz in the first place.
Frankly, I don't see any point in pci.ids.gz whatsoever - and HAL will
continue to require an uncompressed pci.ids file until someone explains
the benefit of pci.ids.gz. IOW, punt it to the distros...

     David