info.icon in HAL

Kay Sievers kay.sievers at vrfy.org
Tue Mar 6 01:32:28 PST 2007

On 3/6/07, David Zeuthen <david at fubar.dk> wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-03-05 at 19:05 -0500, Rodney Dawes wrote:
> > On Mon, 2007-03-05 at 23:32 +0000, Richard Hughes wrote:
> > > Okay, sounds like a plan. When you guys have decided on freedesktop
> > > names for the icons and we have patches in gnomevfs then us HAL guys
> > > can swing into action.
> >
> > I've put the guidelines for naming device icons in the Icon Naming Spec
> > in CVS. I've made a list of some names, which will eventually become the
> > Device Icon Naming Addendum.
>
> So about names. As mentioned earlier, I'd like the HAL code to compute
> info.icon_name so the property will be set unless it's overridden for a
> specific device in info.icon_name. Now, choosing names is very
> difficult, so here's one proposal.
>
> For plain disks attached to hotpluggable ports on the systerm, it's
> useful to see the connection type and having a nice logo that reflects
> that (like in Mac OS X). Right now the main game in town is USB and
> Firewire but we might want to add future connection types in the future
>
>  drive-harddisk
>  drive-harddisk-usb
>  drive-harddisk-ieee1394

Hmm, maybe we should move the top-level info.product and info.icon, to
something like
  info.representation.long_name
  info.representation.short_name
  info.representation.icon

namespace, so it would be more clear that it's about properties that
are intended for software that want's to present a device in a
user-dialog / on the desktop?

Thanks,
Kay