info.icon in HAL

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Mon Mar 5 16:46:41 PST 2007

On Mon, 2007-03-05 at 19:05 -0500, Rodney Dawes wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-03-05 at 23:32 +0000, Richard Hughes wrote:
> > Okay, sounds like a plan. When you guys have decided on freedesktop
> > names for the icons and we have patches in gnomevfs then us HAL guys
> > can swing into action.
>
> I've put the guidelines for naming device icons in the Icon Naming Spec
> in CVS. I've made a list of some names, which will eventually become the
> Device Icon Naming Addendum.

So about names. As mentioned earlier, I'd like the HAL code to compute
info.icon_name so the property will be set unless it's overridden for a
specific device in info.icon_name. Now, choosing names is very
difficult, so here's one proposal.

For plain disks attached to hotpluggable ports on the systerm, it's
useful to see the connection type and having a nice logo that reflects
that (like in Mac OS X). Right now the main game in town is USB and
Firewire but we might want to add future connection types in the future

 drive-harddisk
 drive-harddisk-usb
 drive-harddisk-ieee1394

For optical drives, people normally only care whether the drive can
burn. We omit whether it can burn CD-R's, DVD-R's or other types of
discs (ICBW and we could drop this and expand drive-optical-* instead)

 drive-optical
 drive-optical-recorder

For removable media, it's useful to see what kind of media the drive
uses otherwise you end up with this kind of window

 http://people.freedesktop.org/~david/many-drives.png

 drive-removable-media
 drive-removable-media-jaz
 drive-removable-media-zip
 drive-removable-media-floppy
 drive-removable-media-tape
 drive-removable-media-flash
 drive-removable-media-flash-compactflash
 drive-removable-media-flash-memorystick
 drive-removable-media-flash-sdmmc
 drive-removable-media-flash-smartmedia

Some drives are "special" (this is for USB key chain drives) but also
very common

 drive-keyfob

This covers all the drives which is to say the enclosures for the media,
whether it's removable or not or how it's partitioned. For drives
without removable media we'll reuse the drive-* icon for volumes (e.g.
partitions) on that drive. Drives with removable media have distinct
icons as the media itself can change

 media-jaz
 media-zip
 media-floppy
 media-tape
 media-flash
 media-flash-compactflash
 media-flash-memorystick
 media-flash-sdmmc
 media-flash-smartmedia

Typically users wants to see a distinct icon for the disc type

 media-optical
 media-optical-dvd
 media-optical-blueray
 media-optical-hddvd
 media-optical-writable
 media-optical-writable-dvd
 media-optical-writable-dvd-plus
 media-optical-writable-blueray
 media-optical-writable-hddvd
 media-optical-rewritable
 media-optical-rewritable-dvd
 media-optical-rewritable-dvd-plus
 media-optical-rewritable-dvd-plus-duallayer
 media-optical-rewritable-blueray
 media-optical-rewritable-hddvd

I'm not at all suggesting that GNOME or KDE or whatever is going to ship
all these icons but I think it should be possible to create an icon
theme that uses all of them.

Thoughts?

    David