s2both

Holger Macht hmacht at suse.de
Sun Mar 11 14:19:56 PDT 2007

On Sun 11. Mar - 20:57:23, Richard Hughes wrote:
> On Sun, 2007-03-11 at 11:22 +0100, Holger Macht wrote:
> >
> >   power_management.can_hibernate = true  (bool)
> >   power_management.can_suspend = true  (bool)
> >
> > These values are just a reflexion of what the kernel thinks, namely
> > /sys/power/state. Another key like
> >
> >   power_management.can_suspend_to_both = true  (bool)
>
> Hmm. Suspend to both means something to me, but if we are going to
> express this in the UI we need a better name in my opinion.

Yes, I think so too.

> If it's in the UI and in common use in the tools, the name in hal should
> probably reflect this.

Well, that's the old discussion ;-) In my opinion, what's in HAL should be
technically correct, although the UI might use some userfriendly term. But
that's not something I'll argue about anymore ;-)

> If I understand correctly, s2both is basically a hibernate that is woken
> up like normal quickly, or if the battery fails then it's like a normal
> resume from hibernate.
>
> Is the "suspending" a similar time to hibernate or suspend?  It is

Hibernate with subsequent suspend ;-) So basically time of hibernate.

> Is the "resuming" a similar time to hibernate or suspend?

Resuming is usual suspend (resume from RAM) time, except your battery ran
out of power.

> If it is what I think it is, maybe something like "safe suspend" might
> be okay, although "quick hibernate" might also be suitable.

IIRC, some years ago (APM time) some notebook vendor already implemented
something like this. It was called something like "Readysafe" or the
like. But "safe suspend" sounds quite good to me to present to the user.

Regards,
	Holger