s2both

Soren Hansen sh at linux2go.dk
Sun Mar 11 14:25:14 PDT 2007

On Sun, Mar 11, 2007 at 10:19:56PM +0100, Holger Macht wrote:
> IIRC, some years ago (APM time) some notebook vendor already
> implemented something like this. It was called something like
> "Readysafe" or the like. But "safe suspend" sounds quite good to me to
> present to the user.

True. I have an old laptop lying around that goes into suspend as
expected and after an hour (I think) it wakes up to go into hibernation
and then powers off entirely. Pretty clever in all cases except the one
where you only have enough power to stay in suspend for slightly more
than an hour in which case the waking up and going into hibernation will
ruin your state. Of course, we can't reimplement this in software (not
in any sane and portable way), but it's an interesting historical note
that might inspire something new and clever. :-)

--
| Soren Hansen    | Linux2Go                  | http://Linux2Go.dk/ |
| Seniorkonsulent | Lindholmsvej 42, 2. TH    | +45 46 90 26 42     |