Patch: remove incorrect vbestate_restore quirk for some laptops

Danny Kukawka danny.kukawka at web.de
Wed May 2 11:51:01 PDT 2007

On Mittwoch, 2. Mai 2007, Frederic Crozat wrote:
> Le mercredi 02 mai 2007 à 18:57 +0200, Danny Kukawka a écrit :
> > On Mittwoch, 2. Mai 2007, Frederic Crozat wrote:
> > > While testing Mandriva 2007 Spring, we discovered part of hal
> > > suspend/resume scripts were still using incorrect arguments when
> > > calling pm-utils, causing vbestate_restore to never be passed to
> > > pm-utils.
> > >
> > > After we fixed that (I saw david fixed it too in parallel with commits
> > > d695eb749f5f1ace2d90be0605a100b1cc714266 and
> > > a0997ff7f0ced238e702f2b0e201038687ede468, sorry for not pushing patch
> > > earlier), we discovered regressions in suspend stability, because some
> > > laptops were incorrectly described in hal-info as needing
> > > vbestate_restore.
> >
> > How did you discovered this regression. What was the exact testcase?
> > Suspend under X or also from console/init=/bin/bash. Both have to work to
> > remove a quirk.
> >
> > I ask this because I see several changes (e.g. for HPnx6125) in the
> > quirks (you remove e.g. power_management.quirk.vbestate_restore) which
> > s2ram explicit use (in it's own whitelist) to resume the machines
> > correctly. I speculate in several cases of your changes the  resume with
> > X would work okay, but not from console.
>
> Glad you asked.
>
> I plan to write a test scenario on Mandriva wiki about that, but here is
> it :

You miss something in the testplan: suspend to ram has also to work from
console. And for your changes (remove vbestate_restore quirk) this wouldn't
work in the most cases! So I would vote against this changes until this get
rechecked with init=/bin/bash (start with init=/bin/bash, call suspendToRam,
resume and check if all work)

Danny