Patch: remove incorrect vbestate_restore quirk for some laptops

Frederic Crozat fcrozat at mandriva.com
Thu May 3 08:47:03 PDT 2007

Le jeudi 03 mai 2007 à 14:00 +0200, Frederic Crozat a écrit :
> Le jeudi 03 mai 2007 à 12:28 +0200, Danny Kukawka a écrit :
> > [...]
> > >
> > > I just tested one of the laptops. And you were right, restoring for
> > > framebuffer is broken if vbestate_restore is not used.
> >
> > Which one was it?
>
> HP nc4200
>
> I didn't test the other ones on the list.
>
> I've also tested with s2ram just now and the same issue is present.
>
> However, after looking at s2ram whitelist recent changes (btw, it would
> be nice to push all modifications and new additions to hal-info), I
> tried to replace vbestate_restore with vbemode_restore and both X and
> console suspend are working fine now.
>
> David, could you put this patch on hold until I retest the various
> laptops listed in my patch ?
>
> I'll send a new patch shortly.

Ok, I've tested :
HP nc4200
HP nx6125
DELL 110L

both HP laptops are suspending/resuming fine with vbemode_restore in
both console and X, so quirk should be changed to vbemode_restore for
them (I've attached a patch for this).

Dell 110L is not fixable for both console and X at the same time.
Enabling vbestate_restore crashes X server and it is not able to start
again correctly without a system reboot. So, for now, it is probably
best to not change quirks for this laptop, I'll keep a patch in our
package.

I don't have access anymore to nx6110 nor nc6220 laptops so it is
probably safe to not change quirks for them either (although I think
using vbemode instead of vbestate will probably work) for now, I'll keep
a vendor patch for now. Of course, if somebody has such a laptop, he is
welcome to report tests :)

So, unless there is objection, it is safe to commit the attached patch
to hal-info and to forget my proposal for multiple quirks, based on vt
mode, in a previous mail.

Thanks you.
--
Frederic Crozat <fcrozat at mandriva.com>