Whitelisting no-pm-quirks

Tim Dijkstra newsuser at famdijkstra.org
Thu May 3 15:04:22 PDT 2007

On Thu, 03 May 2007 13:11:39 -0400
David Zeuthen <david at fubar.dk> wrote:

> On Thu, 2007-05-03 at 10:40 +0200, Danny Kukawka wrote:
> > The point is not using s2ram or that s2ram would break. The point is that
> > removing the quirk would break resume if you suspend via init=/bin/bash (the
> > testcase) or console. This change only work under X. All this has nothing to
> > do with s2ram, only with the suspend itself.
>
> I'll rephrase my questions
>
>  1. Is it correct than s2ram has it's own list of quirks?

Yes, and I think the one in hal-info is mostly just taken from the
s2ram whitelist.

>  4. If you're switching to pm-utils will you be using s2ram as part of
>     pm-utils?

In debian I've patched pm-utils to use s2ram and s2both when available,
but use the whitelist from HAL to override the internal one.

> The problem here is with multiple quirk lists - we really want to avoid
> that. Thanks.

I agree of course. The thing is that Suse and Debian (and probably
other) users of s2ram are actively sending in there success reports,
because adding their info to the whitelist makes it easier for them to
use s2ram (there is no config file where you can add the quirks you
want to use).

In other words: we need a way for (power?) users of HAL to experiment
with different `quirks', which at the same time forces them to report
their findings.

grts Tim