Whitelisting no-pm-quirks

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Thu May 3 15:21:07 PDT 2007

On Fri, 2007-05-04 at 00:04 +0200, Tim Dijkstra wrote:
> In other words: we need a way for (power?) users of HAL to experiment
> with different `quirks', which at the same time forces them to report
> their findings.

Strong agreement here. Would a small interactive command line tool + a
man page work like sketched in [1] work for you?

With this, we could also get the UI power management apps (g-p-m,
kpowersave) to notice the file

 /etc/hal/fdi/information/10-pm-utils-local-quirks.fdi

and ask the user if they want to submit the information.

 | It seems you are using custom suspend/resume quirks on your    |
 | system. Other users may benefit from this information. Please  |
 | consider sharing this information.                             |
 | [ ] Don't ask me about this again                              |
 |                                      [Don't share] [Share it!] |

which probably needs to be reworded but ya'll get the point. If you
press "Share it" we'll ask some more information such as "did suspend
work in X", "did suspend work from the console" etc.

Would something like this work?

     David

[1] :

# pm-quirk-assistant
Welcome to the pm-utils Quirk Assistant! This program is used to help
you try out different quirks that might make suspend/resume work on your
system. For more information see

 http://freedesktop.org/wiki/SomeHelpfulPage

These are the available quirks you can try

 1. s3_bios
 2. s3_mode
 3. dpms_suspend
 4. vga_mode_3
 5. dpms_on
 6. vbe_post
 7. vbestate_restore
 8. vbemode_restore
 9. radeon_off

Type what quirks you want, separated by space: 1 6

OK. Trying to suspend with quirks:

  s3_bios
  vbe_post

Success! If you can see this text it means that the quirks worked. To
automatically use these quirks in the future, a HAL fdi file can be
generated.

Would you like to generate a HAL fdi file [yes/no]: yes

Writing HAL fdi file to

 /etc/hal/fdi/information/10-pm-utils-local-quirks.fdi

Contents are

<deviceinfo version="0.2">
  <device>
    <match key="system.hardware.vendor" string="XXX">
      <match key="system.hardware.version" prefix="YYY">
        <merge key="power_management.quirk.vbe_post" type="bool">true</merge>
        <merge key="power_management.quirk.vbestate_restore" type="bool">true</merge>
      </match>
    </match>
  </device>
</deviceinfo>

Now please test whether this works from both the console and from within
X Windows. When you are finished please consider submitting this file to
the pm-utils project and state whether suspend works from the console
and/or the X windows.