Whitelisting no-pm-quirks

Frederic Crozat fcrozat at mandriva.com
Fri May 4 03:29:07 PDT 2007

Le vendredi 04 mai 2007 à 11:49 +0200, Tim Dijkstra a écrit :
> On Thu, 03 May 2007 18:21:07 -0400
> David Zeuthen <david at fubar.dk> wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 2007-05-04 at 00:04 +0200, Tim Dijkstra wrote:
> > > In other words: we need a way for (power?) users of HAL to experiment
> > > with different `quirks', which at the same time forces them to report
> > > their findings.
> >
> > Strong agreement here. Would a small interactive command line tool + a
> > man page work like sketched in [1] work for you?
> >
> > With this, we could also get the UI power management apps (g-p-m,
> > kpowersave) to notice the file
> >
> >  /etc/hal/fdi/information/10-pm-utils-local-quirks.fdi
> >
> > and ask the user if they want to submit the information.
>
> Yes, that seems about right.
>
> One other issue. What should hal do if there is no match in the
> quirk-list? s2ram takes the approach that it refuses to suspend,
> chances are big that the video card won't come back working...
>
> Hal could do the same. It could poke g-p-m or the like to tell the user
> to try in figure out what quirks to use.

Currently, hal accepts to suspend. And g-p-m will complain if next
restart of it detect an aborted suspend.

I'm not sure it is a good idea to whitelist ALL laptops before
suspending them.

We are finding a lot of laptops which don't need quirks at all and it
would prevent people to have working suspend until info is registered in
hal-info (and goes back to distributions and then to users).

--
Frederic Crozat <fcrozat at mandriva.com>
Mandriva