Whitelisting no-pm-quirks

Tim Dijkstra newsuser at famdijkstra.org
Fri May 4 02:49:42 PDT 2007

On Thu, 03 May 2007 18:21:07 -0400
David Zeuthen <david at fubar.dk> wrote:

> On Fri, 2007-05-04 at 00:04 +0200, Tim Dijkstra wrote:
> > In other words: we need a way for (power?) users of HAL to experiment
> > with different `quirks', which at the same time forces them to report
> > their findings.
>
> Strong agreement here. Would a small interactive command line tool + a
> man page work like sketched in [1] work for you?
>
> With this, we could also get the UI power management apps (g-p-m,
> kpowersave) to notice the file
>
>  /etc/hal/fdi/information/10-pm-utils-local-quirks.fdi
>
> and ask the user if they want to submit the information.

Yes, that seems about right.

One other issue. What should hal do if there is no match in the
quirk-list? s2ram takes the approach that it refuses to suspend,
chances are big that the video card won't come back working...

Hal could do the same. It could poke g-p-m or the like to tell the user
to try in figure out what quirks to use.

grts Tim