[patch] add keymap data to make random laptop vendor keys work

Bastien Nocera hadess at hadess.net
Fri May 4 09:48:48 PDT 2007

On Fri, 2007-05-04 at 15:51 +0100, Richard Hughes wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-05-03 at 23:58 +0100, Bastien Nocera wrote:
> >
> > > Sure, this assumes the keys are mapped. I don't see this as a big
> > > problem.
> >
> > Well, that means that it would kill the idea David had of having a
> > graphical application to do it.
>
> What about the following:
> http://live.gnome.org/GnomePowerManager/AddingKeymapData
>
> i.e. not something a newbie could do, but someone who is half competent
> and knows what a terminal is should be able to cope.
>
> If it's crack, tell me so. :-)

Lennart just told me he wrote a kernel module to export DMI information
in modalias, so that driver that we could potentially load driver, and
keytables from udev rules, rather than from HAL.

It would also allow to load drivers such as ibm-laptop, sonypi, dcbdas
(or whatever that Dell module is called) automatically, without hacks in
startup scripts.

Did I explain that right Lennart?

--
Bastien Nocera <hadess at hadess.net>