[patch] add keymap data to make random laptop vendor keys work

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Fri May 4 10:01:40 PDT 2007

On Fri, 2007-05-04 at 17:48 +0100, Bastien Nocera wrote:

> Lennart just told me he wrote a kernel module to export DMI
> information
> in modalias, so that driver that we could potentially load driver, and
> keytables from udev rules, rather than from HAL.

That's assuming we are just matching on dmi-data, what about the other
data probers such as PMU (or other data sources like smapi)? We also
want to be doing this at runtime as well (for instance plugging in a
multimedia USB keyboard) rather than just at boot time.

> It would also allow to load drivers such as ibm-laptop, sonypi, dcbdas
> (or whatever that Dell module is called) automatically, without hacks
> in startup scripts.

Yes, I think loading modules is okay based on dmi data, but putting the
DMI matching in shell in udev rules (each done once per file) is a
little bit hackish (although I'm biased ;-) - also we would have to tell
distros to update their udev packages every few weeks, rather than
hal-info.

Richard.