Whitelisting no-pm-quirks

Tim Dijkstra newsuser at famdijkstra.org
Tue May 8 14:10:06 PDT 2007

On Fri, 04 May 2007 16:24:40 -0400
David Zeuthen <david at fubar.dk> wrote:

> On Thu, 2007-05-03 at 23:48 +0100, Richard Hughes wrote:
> > On Thu, 2007-05-03 at 18:21 -0400, David Zeuthen wrote:
> > >
> > > Strong agreement here. Would a small interactive command line tool + a
> > > man page work like sketched in [1] work for you?
> > >
> > > With this, we could also get the UI power management apps (g-p-m,
> > > kpowersave) to notice the file
> > >
> > >  /etc/hal/fdi/information/10-pm-utils-local-quirks.fdi
> > >
> > > and ask the user if they want to submit the information.
> >
> > What about just coding a small web application with a small mysql
> > backend? Easier for the average user to check if the info is known than
> > messing around with git and command lines and stuff like that.
> > Export to XML (fdi) and static list would be trivial.
> >
> > Just an idea.

Why should they need to use git? In David's idea they can figure out
what quirks to use with the help of cli-util, but if you want to put it
in g-p-m, that would be cool.
The essential part is that we want to leverage the knowledge of
experienced users to figure out what quirks are needed for a certain
machine. Indeed, it would be nice if the app could optionally connect to
some server with an up to date list, but I don't understand why we
would need a mysql database for that. That again smells like
duplication.

grts Tim