pm-utils: /etc/pm/config.d/unload_modules doesn't work

Valent Turkovic valent.turkovic at gmail.com
Thu May 31 14:18:03 PDT 2007

On 5/31/07, Richard Hughes <hughsient at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-05-31 at 14:49 +0200, Valent Turkovic wrote:
> >
> > I got one tip for putting iwl3945 in /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist so it
> > doesn't load even in the first place. Can you also put that on the
> > quirks page also?
>
> Do you think I need to? Most people need iwl3945 for wireless to work.

Maybe only to tell people that enable it during tesing and finding
quirks - just to be safe - and to enable it again if they find that
their system suspends/resumes ok with some quirks. If you think it is
not appropriate then don't use it...
I myself found it useful for during testing of quirks because then I
know that that module doesn't interfere with my system - if it is
loaded or was loaded on boot I can still speculate if it somehow makes
my system unstable for suspend/resume... You have more experience here
so I'll trust your judgment.

> > p.s. Can you please add quirks descriptions and explanation when it is
> > appropriate to use which quirk.
>
> How about
> http://people.freedesktop.org/~hughsient/quirk/quirk-explain.html ?

Great! This is exactly what we need! Thanks.

> Corrections gracefully accepted, my understanding on the nuances of
> video posting isn't good at all. :-)

I also found opensuse s2ram page to be a very valuable resource, like
this part in particular:
http://en.opensuse.org/S2ram#My_machine_is_not_in_the_whitelist.2C_what_can_i_do.3F

copy/paste from s2ram page:

"Note: mixing up the "-a" options and the vbetool options ("-p", "-m",
"-s") is normally only a measure of last resort, it usually does not
make much sense.

One of those should hopefully get your machine back to life (and the
backlight back on). Once you have found a combination that works, send
us that information together with the output of s2ram -i. If you find
several combinations that work (e.g. "s2ram -f -a 3" and "s2ram -f -p
-m" both work on your machine), the in-kernel method ("-a") should be
preferred over the userspace method ("-p", "-m" and "-s"). "

Maybe you could adapt some of great tips and suggestion they have over
there to quirks page also? That would add much value to it and easier
troubleshooting for others that want to make their laptops JustWork.

> Thanks.

Thank you!

Valent.

--