Teaching hal about format/fsck/label changing

Pat Suwalski pat at suwalski.net
Tue Nov 13 08:34:52 PST 2007

Martin Pitt wrote:
> The lack of nice desktop integration of volume label changing,
> fscking, and formatting has bothered me for a long time already. Now I
> finally have some time to work on this.

This has bugged me and many Linux users I know for a long, long time as
well. I think your design idea is great, using a backend along the lines
of the mount one. This was impossible in the past.

There will be issues with labels that the user shouldn't have permission
to change, for example LVMs and other devices needed to be identified
for booting. Some distros use UUIDs, other use labels. But I guess this
will have the same user restrictions as mounting currently does and may
not be a big problem.

--Pat