Teaching hal about format/fsck/label changing

Martin Pitt martin at piware.de
Tue Nov 13 09:01:54 PST 2007

Hi Pat,

Pat Suwalski [2007-11-13 11:34 -0500]:
> There will be issues with labels that the user shouldn't have permission to
> change, for example LVMs and other devices needed to be identified for
> booting. Some distros use UUIDs, other use labels. But I guess this will
> have the same user restrictions as mounting currently does and may not be a
> big problem.

Right, this will be restricted to root-alike users for internal disks
and local console users for removable disks.

Your particular issue is covered in the spec: 'Renaming will fail with
an appropriate error message if the current label appears in
/etc/fstab (This is not the default and is discouraged).'

Does that address your concern?

Thanks,

Martin

--