On recognizing music players in hal/hal-info

Linus Walleij linus.ml.walleij at gmail.com
Thu Nov 15 13:08:40 PST 2007

2007/11/15, Martin Pitt <martin at piware.de>:

> > I don't think this would work, because then any USB stick of USB-HD would get
> > detected as musicplayer because there are mp3 files.
>
> If the volume only contains MP3 files, then I guess opening the music
> player on it might not be considered totally wrong, but yeah, it just
> errs on the other side then.

There is some de facto idea on MTP players of always having a folder in
the root named "Music" or "My Music". I guess it may be similar on UMS,
still it's rather heuristic and should probably be avoided.

A more realistic way would be to ask the manufacturer of the music player
device to provide a serial number range to match. (Hm... getting bureaucratic.)

Linus