[hal-info] Dell 700m quirks

Leo sdl.web at gmail.com
Tue Nov 20 07:24:39 PST 2007

On 2007-11-20 13:14 +0000, Danny Kukawka wrote:
> On Freitag, 16. November 2007, Leo wrote:
>> Hi there,
>>
>>         <match key="system.hardware.product" contains="700m">
>
>>         <!-- ONLY needed with i810 X.org driver 1.x versions,
>>              DO NOT use with intel X.org driver 2.x version (not needed and
>> causes problems) <merge key="power_management.quirk.vbestate_restore"
>> type="bool">true</merge> <merge key="power_management.quirk.vga_mode3"
>> type="bool">true</merge> <merge key="power_management.quirk.vbe_post"
>> type="bool">true</merge> <merge
>> key="power_management.quirk.vbemode_restore" type="bool">true</merge> -->
>>

>> Has this been test thoroughly? I have seen hangs in Fedora 8.
>>
>> Thanks,
>
> Which quirks do you need to avoid problems?

In CLI, the above setting will return the computer to blank screen but
the keyboard is responding (I can toggle the caps lock but can't see any
shell prompt).

In X, if NetworkManager is started before suspension, the wakeup will
hang before reaching the GDM login screen.

The reboot (by holding the power button) immediately following such
hangs will also fail at the point when it is about to get to the GDM
screen. This one is really odd.

However I discussed with someone in #fedora-devel irc channel, the
general opinion is that it usually has less to do with NetworkManager
than the underlying drivers. In my case the following drivers are used:

ethernet: b44
wireless: ipw2200

As suggested by the script quirk-checker.sh, 'SUSPEND_MODULES="b44"' has
been added to the executable file /etc/pm/config.d/unload_modules.

Any ideas how to debug this further?

--
.:  Leo  :.  [ sdl.web AT gmail.com ]  .:  [ GPG Key: 9283AA3F ]  :.

          Use the best OS -- http://www.fedoraproject.org/