gnome-mount 0.7

Doug Goldstein cardoe at gentoo.org
Fri Oct 12 13:46:55 PDT 2007

David Zeuthen wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-10-12 at 09:02 -0400, Doug Goldstein wrote:
>
>> Michael Biebl wrote:

>>> A build time check is not necessary as gnome-mount doesn't link
>>> against libpolkit*, it uses dbus directly and checks at runtime if PK
>>> support is available.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Michael
>>>

>> Fair enough. Still what's the version requirements? I'm assuming it's
>> using PolicyKit-Gnome as well. What are those version requirements?
>>

> Yeah, it's not really clear however the ChangeLog
>
> http://svn.gnome.org/viewvc/gnome-mount/trunk/ChangeLog?revision=141&view=markup
>
> indicates that at least PK-gnome 0.5 is required. Going forward,
> gnome-mount will optionally build against libpolkit-gnome but that
> library remains to be written (see PK release announcement for plans).
>
>       David

David,

I'm still concerned about the Red Hat-ish-ness (to completely invent a
word) of this project. People will problem know what I'm talking about
with this. Yes, it's an open source project and sure contributions are
welcome. But they seem to focus around Red Hat. Some people will
remember the days of projects being released only in srpm format. etc

i.e. A Gentoo user had an issue with gnome-mount 5 months ago. It was
debugged to a trivial issue. A header that needed to be defined wasn't.
We patched it locally in Portage and submitted a bug upstream,
indicating the problem and the fix.

There has been 0 response on the bug. Looking at upstream bug
statistics, there are 33 opened bugs. 16 with no response at all. The
other 17 have other GNOME developers commenting on them or other users
commenting "me too" or additional debug information.

And I downloaded the gnome-mount-0.7 tarball today and I looked at the
source, sure enough. The trivial patch from 5 months ago that is ignored
in GNOME Bugzilla (where the gnome-mount project lives). Amazingly
enough there's a bunch of bugs there from Red Hat users that used bug-buddy.

Now I hopped on over to Red Hat Bugzilla and I found 49 opened bugs that
seem to have some involvement on them.

This is not to say Gentoo only has one bug or one issue with
gnome-mount, there are more, but that was the only just one example.

--
Doug Goldstein
cardoe at gentoo.org