gnome-mount 0.7

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Fri Oct 12 14:47:03 PDT 2007

On Fri, 2007-10-12 at 16:46 -0400, Doug Goldstein wrote:
> I'm still concerned about the Red Hat-ish-ness (to completely invent a
> word) of this project. People will problem know what I'm talking about
> with this. Yes, it's an open source project and sure contributions are
> welcome. But they seem to focus around Red Hat. Some people will
> remember the days of projects being released only in srpm format. etc

Dude, I use Fedora by choice (I no longer work for Red Hat), David works
for Red Hat and a lot of the guys testing this use Red Hat products. Red
Hat are a real driving force behind a lot of this new stuff so it should
be no surprise this works well with new Red Hat products when people are
paid to code this stuff. Historically this stuff has been quite distro
specific, e.g. pmount with ubuntu, and other distros have often done
their own thing.

> There has been 0 response on the bug. Looking at upstream bug
> statistics, there are 33 opened bugs. 16 with no response at all. The
> other 17 have other GNOME developers commenting on them or other users
> commenting "me too" or additional debug information.

Sure, so bring it up on this mailing list and keep up with the nagging.
To get patches in to the kernel, or hal, or glib you often need to do
"pinging" as the maintainer often has too little time and too much to
do, and it's easy for patches to slip under the radar and bitrot.

> And I downloaded the gnome-mount-0.7 tarball today and I looked at the
> source, sure enough. The trivial patch from 5 months ago that is ignored
> in GNOME Bugzilla (where the gnome-mount project lives). Amazingly
> enough there's a bunch of bugs there from Red Hat users that used bug-buddy.

If you attach a trivial patch then I'm sure David will merge the patch -
really, it's not a conspiracy.

> This is not to say Gentoo only has one bug or one issue with
> gnome-mount, there are more, but that was the only just one example.

Sure. David is a busy guy. If you make it as easy as possible by
attaching a patch to merge then it's got a good chance of being fixed.

Richard.