evtouch fdi file for IDEACO IDC 6680 touchscreen

Danny Kukawka danny.kukawka at web.de
Mon Aug 25 10:31:34 PDT 2008

On Montag, 25. August 2008, Oliver Grawert wrote:
> > 2) IMO this fdi-file shouldn't be part of hal or the hal-info package. It
> > should be part of the evtouch package. Such special stuff (including
> > calibration information ...) make no sense in the hal packages especially
> > since evtouch is already a own package and since you need it to use the
> > touchscreen.
>
> i agree that a calibration tool (i'm currently inspecting how the
> keyboard defaults are read/applied and plan to do something similar for
> touchscreen calibration info) should be in the evtouch package.
>
> why should touchscreen devices be handled differently than wacom
> tablets ?

There is no fdi-file for wacom devices in HAL. And it wouldn't make any sense
to add it to HAL since there is the linuxwacom package which should contains
it as in your case evtouch should deliver a fdi-file (if this is what the
package maintainer wants).

> what i would like to see in hal-info are default .fdi files for all
> available touchscreens we can get info for with either a generic basic
> calibration for the typical "common case" or even without any
> calibration info but at least with the info it needs to make use of the
> evtouch driver so it doesnt default to "mouse" or "evdev" out of the box
> (which makes the device completely unusable).
>
> i have the same for a samsung Q1 Ultra with eGalax touchscreen here as
> well now, do you want the same set of info for this device ?

Please add such FDI files to the related packages which already contains the
needed driver. It makes no sense to have these files in HAL, especially since
you need also the special driver (for X or/and the kernel). The package that
contains the driver should also install the (may) needed fdi-files.

It would be the same as we already do with e.g. libgphoto or libmtp.

Danny