hal-info keymap and asus laptops

Khashayar Naderehvandi khashayar.lists at gmail.com
Sun Dec 28 11:18:30 PST 2008

On Sun, Dec 28, 2008 at 3:45 PM, Matthew Garrett <mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org> wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 28, 2008 at 01:01:43PM +0100, Khashayar Naderehvandi wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Is there any particular reason why
>> http://cgit.freedesktop.org/hal-info/tree/fdi/information/10freedesktop/30-keymap-module-asus-laptop.fdi
>> only matches one model of Asus laptops? The keycodes seem to be
>> similar, if not identical, on my N20A, and as far as I understand,
>> most Asus laptops.
>
> No, but until recently the Asus module didn't generate input events
> without patching, so it's likely nobody noticed.
>
>> If I haven't misunderstood something here, I could add some more
>> input.keymap.data (like brightness up & down), and remove the model
>> matching, and supply this list with a patch. Would that be desirable?
>
> Please.

I have a few questions, though, if that's alright. Firstly, the
'wlan'-button, should ideally "browse" through various combinations of
wlan/bluetooth being on/off. Is there a way to accomplish that with
hal? Ubuntu 8.10, seems to be able to do that using acpid scripts.

Should I add an entry for the hardware switch that toggles all radio
transmitters? Since this is a hardware switch, there might be little
point in adding a line for it. On the other hand, if hal will be tied
into some sort of a notification system (which I'm hoping), there
could be reason to have a line there, but what action should it
toggle?

Last, I tried my updated fdi file under Fedora, but pressing the
special keys didn't seem to toggle any action. I'm not sure what's
wrong. How can I troubleshoot? Under Ubuntu everything works fine
through the acpid scripts.

Regards,
Khashayar