hal-info keymap and asus laptops

Matthew Garrett mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org
Sun Dec 28 11:52:21 PST 2008

On Sun, Dec 28, 2008 at 08:18:30PM +0100, Khashayar Naderehvandi wrote:

> I have a few questions, though, if that's alright. Firstly, the
> 'wlan'-button, should ideally "browse" through various combinations of
> wlan/bluetooth being on/off. Is there a way to accomplish that with
> hal? Ubuntu 8.10, seems to be able to do that using acpid scripts.

That's actually a good question. Convention currently suggests KEY_WLAN,
although that's probably wrong. There's no way to do the toggling
through hal - that's up to whatever's listening for the events.

> Should I add an entry for the hardware switch that toggles all radio
> transmitters? Since this is a hardware switch, there might be little
> point in adding a line for it. On the other hand, if hal will be tied
> into some sort of a notification system (which I'm hoping), there
> could be reason to have a line there, but what action should it
> toggle?

You can send SW_RFKILL_ALL if you want, I think, though there's no huge
benefit.

> Last, I tried my updated fdi file under Fedora, but pressing the
> special keys didn't seem to toggle any action. I'm not sure what's
> wrong. How can I troubleshoot? Under Ubuntu everything works fine
> through the acpid scripts.

Ah - the appropriate kernel patch may not be in Fedora yet.

Matthew Garrett | mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org