ThinkVantage key on ThinkPad X61

Danny Kukawka danny.kukawka at web.de
Tue Jan 1 16:43:01 PST 2008

On Freitag, 28. Dezember 2007, Ben Liblit wrote:
> ThinkPads have an extra blue key that has been labeled ThinkPad, Access
> IBM, or ThinkVantage over the years:
> <http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkPad_Button>.  On my ThinkPad X61,
> this key does not generate any useful behavior by default, and does not
> even generate X KeyPress events that I might bind as a shortcut of my
> choosing.  xev reports nothing whatsoever when I press this key.
> However, hald is definitely noticing the event; when running in verbose
> it prints:
>
>      addon-acpi.c:189: event is 'ibm/hotkey HKEY 00000080 00001018'

The event isn't currently handled by the addon, and I'm not sure if we really
want to add them, since this part of the code (IBM ThinkPad ACPI key events)
was planed to get removed sooner or later.

Did you load thinkpad_acpi ? IMO this driver should handle the extra keys of
the thinkpads and send them through some /dev/input/* device (at least since
2007-07-22). If not, you may should check and report to the kernel ppl.

Danny