laptop_panel.duplicate_video_device quirk?

Ben Liblit liblit at cs.wisc.edu
Wed Jan 2 21:51:20 PST 2008

Julian Sikorski wrote:
> Will this work if two devices are exactly the same?

It is very unlikely that the devices are *exactly* the same.  You just
need to pick the right feature by which to distinguish them.  For
example, on my laptop the stuff in /sys/class/backlight/acpi_video0
doesn't do anything, whereas the stuff in
/sys/class/backlight/acpi_video1 seems to work.  So I added the local
quirk attached below, which uses the sysfs path to recognize and kill
the unwanted acpi_video0 device.

I do *not* claim that my local fix is general, or should be applied
blindly to anyone else's machine.  It's just a hard-coded fix for my
box.  But it at least illustrates how one might detect and disable an
unwanted duplicate video device.

Is it possible to generalize my fix so that it does apply to a variety
of machines?  I don't know; I haven't tried.  Maybe.  {shrug}