ConsoleKit 0.2.4

Michael Biebl mbiebl at gmail.com
Wed Jan 23 18:05:35 PST 2008

2008/1/24, William Jon McCann <mccann at jhu.edu>:
> Hi Michael,
>
> On Jan 23, 2008 3:51 PM, Michael Biebl <mbiebl at gmail.com> wrote:
> > 2008/1/23, William Jon McCann <mccann at jhu.edu>:
> > > A new ConsoleKit release is available.
> > [..]
> > > system restart/stop support.
> >
> > tbh, I find it very strange, that this kind of functionality is in ConsoleKit.
> > I'd rather that CK remains as simple as possible and only provides
> > user/session tracking.
>
> Think of the org.freedesktop.ConsoleKit.Manager object/interface as if
> it was org.freedesktop.ConsoleKit.System.  In fact, in the future
> we'll rename it to be just that.
>
> A system contains a group of seats, which contain sessions.  We can
> Restart or Stop the system.  At some point we may move some other
> power management functionality here too.
>
> But I think it is still very simple.

I still see no reason why this should be put into CK. Wasn't CK about
tracking user sessions and seats? Imo this functionality doesn't
belong into CK.

> > This also creates a very "nice" dependency loop:
> > CK depending on PolicyKit and PolicyKit depending on CK. Not good.
>
> There is no dependency loop.  ConsoleKit requires libpolkit only.
> libpolkit does not require ConsoleKit or D-Bus.

Well, just check your fedora packages then [1]:
The PolicyKit package has a requires ConsoleKit.
And as the PK package ships libpolkit, ConsoleKit will have a requires
PolicyKit.

Such dependency loops are bad.

> > Could you elaborate why this functionality was put into CK?
> > I'd prefer if CK wouldn't add a dep on PolicyKit.
>
> This functionality used to reside in the Display Manager.  I think
> that was a bit too high up in the stack.  HAL currently also has
> equivalent functionality but there is a good chance this will change
> in the near future.

As I already said, HAL would be and is the correct place for this, imho.

Cheers,
Michael

[1] http://mirror.pacific.net.au/linux/fedora/linux/development/source/SRPMS/PolicyKit-0.7-4.fc9.src.rpm
universe are pointed away from Earth?