ConsoleKit 0.2.4

Joe Marcus Clarke marcus at FreeBSD.org
Wed Jan 23 18:32:09 PST 2008

On Thu, 2008-01-24 at 03:05 +0100, Michael Biebl wrote:
> 2008/1/24, William Jon McCann <mccann at jhu.edu>:
> > Hi Michael,

> > > [..]
> > >
> > > tbh, I find it very strange, that this kind of functionality is in ConsoleKit.
> > > I'd rather that CK remains as simple as possible and only provides
> > > user/session tracking.
> >
> > Think of the org.freedesktop.ConsoleKit.Manager object/interface as if
> > it was org.freedesktop.ConsoleKit.System.  In fact, in the future
> > we'll rename it to be just that.
> >
> > A system contains a group of seats, which contain sessions.  We can
> > Restart or Stop the system.  At some point we may move some other
> > power management functionality here too.
> >
> > But I think it is still very simple.
>
> I still see no reason why this should be put into CK. Wasn't CK about
> tracking user sessions and seats? Imo this functionality doesn't
> belong into CK.
>

> > > This also creates a very "nice" dependency loop:
> > > CK depending on PolicyKit and PolicyKit depending on CK. Not good.
> >
> > There is no dependency loop.  ConsoleKit requires libpolkit only.
> > libpolkit does not require ConsoleKit or D-Bus.
>
> Well, just check your fedora packages then [1]:
> The PolicyKit package has a requires ConsoleKit.
> And as the PK package ships libpolkit, ConsoleKit will have a requires
> PolicyKit.

The same is true for FreeBSD.  There is no external libpolkit
distribution, so PolicyKit provides it.  If libpolkit were broken out
from PolicyKit, this would fix the dependency problem irrespective of
the other arguments against adding the shutdown/restart feature to CK.
However, how useful would libpolkit be without PolicyKit (i.e. polkitd)?
Is D-BUS at a point where the polkit service could reside on one
machine, and clients access it from another?

Joe

--
Joe Marcus Clarke
FreeBSD GNOME Team      ::      gnome at FreeBSD.org