small bug in the current 20-video-quirk-pm-acer.fdi

Danny Kukawka danny.kukawka at web.de
Tue Mar 18 04:01:20 PDT 2008

On Montag, 17. März 2008, Michal Jaegermann wrote:
> I have here an Acer TravelMate 230 laptop which after an update to
> Fedora 8 was giving me a grief with suspend (although it used
> to work with Fedora 6, for example).  Therefore I was quite
> pleased to find that in a recent fdi file, here:
> http://gitweb.freedesktop.org/?p=hal-info.git;a=blob;f=fdi/information/10fr
>eedesktop/20-video-quirk-pm-acer.fdi an entry for this laptop did show up.
>
> There is a catch.  After loading this file and restarting hal
> 'lshal | grep quirk' came out empty.  It turns out that in the
> corresponding "match" there is the following:
>
>   prefix_outof="TravelMate 630;TravelMate 230 "
>
> while 'lshal | grep system.hardware.product' prints:
>
>   system.hardware.product = 'TravelMate 230'  (string)
>
> without that spurious blank after '230'.  With this space removed
> and hal restarted again grepping for quirks gave me now

All these entries are from s2ram. And while s2ram use unchanged dmidecode info
to match a machine, hal strip the whitespacees at the end of the output. So
you get e.g. 'TravelMate 230' instead of 'TravelMate 230 '. You can check
e.g. dmidecode or with vi /sys/class/dmi/id/product_name and you see that
there are one or more whitespaces.

As I adapted the whitelist info from s2ram to HAL I forgot the fact that HAL
removes the whitepaces. I changed the effected entries in the Acer file and
changed some matches to do exact string matches and not contains* or prefix*
matches to prevent mixup with e.g. 'TravelMate 2300'.

Danny