should service providers like hal and udev have own scripting engines and script folders???

Patryk Zawadzki patrys at pld-linux.org
Tue May 6 06:39:59 PDT 2008

On Tue, May 6, 2008 at 3:25 PM, Dennis Heuer <dh at triple-media.com> wrote:
>  What's wrong with you, guys? Please first READ the email before you
>  answer whatever you like. First, Matthew Garrett writes about a "flying
>  cars" future, as if hal were the future's engine and, consequently,
>  untouchable. However, what he isn't recognizing is that *his* flying car
>  is connected to the ground station via a cable. Now you write about the
>  difference between hal and gconf, as if the usecase would decide about
>  the question if a daemon should hard-implement a fileparser (and, thus,
>  everything else about the parsed files, like the format and the
>  installation location. Yes, even if the files are developed in an
>  alchemist's kitchen [controlled by distirbutors] is decided by that!)

What is the gain of splitting HAL into two entities? Both would have
to be installed anyway for stuff to work (as all distributors would
still agree on a certain syntax, most likely the current fdi syntax).
HAL already supports callouts and probers that can alter device
properties at plug time.

>  Then you write that I wrote something like "every other tool should
>  probe hardware and tell me about the results." I never did! (Or, do
>  you mean hardware monitors? What's wrong with them?) What I wrote
>  stated that there should be concurrency in the hal-handling (feeding
>  hal with rules and controlling hal's state of knowledge), and that this
>  should be done after starting up hal (think of "udevd; udevadm trigger".
>  This is a different case but showing how an administrative tool is
>  overtaking the task of *parsing* a resource for some (already hooked
>  up, in this case) knowledge to be fed to the daemon *at runtime*.)
>
>  Do we come closer to the point now? Please re-read my messages the
>  serious way.

Sure, I agree that I misread your original complains.

>  > Patryk Zawadzki
>  > PLD Linux Distribution
>  Ah, knew it! Why this is always so obvious?

Knew what? Do my ears glow? I'm not into flame wars, especially not on fd.o.

--
Patryk Zawadzki
PLD Linux Distribution