Update on DeviceKit

Matthew Garrett mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org
Fri May 9 04:05:56 PDT 2008

On Fri, May 09, 2008 at 11:52:08AM +0100, Bastien Nocera wrote:

> So, to get back to the original discussion, how does one add support for
> backlight changes in X when:
> - the device doing the changes is a platform device, and not connected
> to the graphics hardware

The Intel driver will already fall back to using the firmware interfaces
for brightness changing. This needs to be moved into the server core,
but is otherwise not too much of a problem.

> - the hardware does the changes itself, but we want user-space to be
> made aware of the changes ("laptop_panel.brightness_in_hardware" key in
> HAL)

Key notifications are sent. We possibly still want something to bridge
these onto dbus, since we have something of an issue in X right now when
it comes to keycode use.

Matthew Garrett | mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org