Update on DeviceKit

Matthew Garrett mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org
Fri May 9 06:40:55 PDT 2008

On Fri, May 09, 2008 at 04:33:52PM +0300, Daniel Stone wrote:

> Okay, cool, thanks.  In that case, it's pretty much just a driver choice
> to always associate the ACPI backlight device with LVDS, in which case
> backlight control is incredibly uninteresting and we have no reason to
> even bother bikeshedding its implementation.  Everyone's a winner.

There's some extra confusion when we have both ACPI and custom firmware
access to the same hardware, but Thomas Renninger has some code to sort
that out. Beyond that, we're just left with the choice of banging the
hardware directly against going through the firmware. And, of course,
whatever opregion brings to the table. You might want to talk to Keith
about that.

Matthew Garrett | mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org