Adds additional CPU details fields.

Danny Kukawka danny.kukawka at web.de
Mon Oct 6 06:59:37 PDT 2008

On Donnerstag, 4. September 2008, Martin S. wrote:
> See http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/hal/2007-April/007978.html
> and http://media.sukimashita.com/temp/00-hal-processor-cpuinfo-1.png

If I have to choose between these two patches I would (if it make sense to add
massive cpuinfo parsing to HAL at all) prefer this older patch (with the
changes I proposed in my answer to your mail) because it tries to take care
about non ix86 archs. But I guess this one would need some changes to fit in.

> Also, did you think about:
> - FreeBSD? Solaris?
> - That different CPUs expose different cpuinfo labels?
> - PPC? ARM? IA64? Sparc? ...

That's the problem with this patch. It will only work on ix86 archs. For all
other archs it wouldn't work because every arch (ppc/ppc64, Cell, s390/s390x
ia64) provides a different format for cpu information in proc.

The most information you try to abstract with your patch are not available for
non ix86 archs. I have some doubt that it make sense to introduce an
abstraction only for one arch.

Personally I would prefer to force the kernel guys to provide a usable for all
arch common sysfs interface instead of this mess in /proc/cpuinfo.

Danny