Adds additional CPU details fields.

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Mon Oct 6 09:55:25 PDT 2008

On Mon, Oct 6, 2008 at 6:59 AM, Danny Kukawka <danny.kukawka at web.de> wrote:
> On Donnerstag, 4. September 2008, Martin S. wrote:
>
>> Also, did you think about:
>> - FreeBSD? Solaris?
>> - That different CPUs expose different cpuinfo labels?
>> - PPC? ARM? IA64? Sparc? ...
>
> That's the problem with this patch. It will only work on ix86 archs. For all
> other archs it wouldn't work because every arch (ppc/ppc64, Cell, s390/s390x
> ia64) provides a different format for cpu information in proc.
>
> The most information you try to abstract with your patch are not available for
> non ix86 archs. I have some doubt that it make sense to introduce an
> abstraction only for one arch.
>
> Personally I would prefer to force the kernel guys to provide a usable for all
> arch common sysfs interface instead of this mess in /proc/cpuinfo.

Just for the record, the coreutils people have consistently rejected
these types of patches for uname(1). They believe that this
information should be exported by the kernel in system calls if it's
to be supported. See here for some background:

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-coreutils/2005-09/msg00053.html

Then again, the parsing of /proc/cpuinfo is already there.

--
Dan