automount ntfs volumes

Danny Kukawka danny.kukawka at web.de
Tue Oct 28 11:17:49 PDT 2008

On Dienstag, 28. Oktober 2008, Ambroz Bizjak wrote:
> Hi,
> I've seen the recent commits about alternative filesystem drivers and I
> think it's a good idea.
>
> I have a svn account for KDE and I will commit patches to support these new
> options.
>
> However there is a problem: which driver should I choose? It seem bad
> to just pick the first alternative driver, hoping it's better than the
> basic driver. Yes, I can add some option to allow the user to choose, but
> there should be a way to set the default on HAL level - rather than
> hardcode preferred drivers in each desktop enviroment.
>
> I suggest to document another config option in HAL that specifies the
> preferred driver, so that desktops can default to it, but still allow the
> user to change it. E.g. "volume.fstype.preferred_alternative". That option,
> if present, would tell applications which alternative driver to use by
> default. There is no change needed to HAL, other than documenting it.
> Should some user/distro want to use ntfs-3g by default, it would just set
> that option to "ntfs-3g", along with describing the alternative fstype.

Why not simply make it configureable in KDE (as you currently can set mount
options or mount points) instead of doing it in HAL. IMO it should be a
desktop issue/decision instead of the base system.

Yes it can happen, but I'm currently not sure if there will be really more
than one alternative driver at the same time.

Besides that it should be "volume.fstype.alternative.prefered" (string) if we
really need it in HAL.

Danny