callout example script for touchscreens

Danny Kukawka danny.kukawka at web.de
Tue Sep 2 09:19:37 PDT 2008

On Dienstag, 2. September 2008, Oliver Grawert wrote:
> hi,
>
> On Di, 2008-09-02 at 16:18 +0200, Danny Kukawka wrote:
> > On Montag, 25. August 2008, Oliver Grawert wrote:
> > > hi,
> > >
> > > seems the attached script could probably do what i need (i have yet to
> > > find out how to apply the actual callout stuff to a generic
> > > touchscreen .fdi file but it seems i'm getting somewhere with my basic
> > > idea)
> >
> > I don't understand what the intention of this script is and what this has
> > to do with hal at all.
>
> a similar script to set keyboard layouts is used in recent fedora and
> ubuntu systems for Xorg 1.5 ... it will make it easier to keep the
> calibration data out of the .fdi file so teh .fdi would only need to
> tell the device which driver to use and nothing else ... as i asked
> before if you think that this .fdi file would have to go into the driver
> package, why do you do similar stuff for wacom based
> tablets/touchscreens ?

As I already told you HAL don't do anything with or for wacom devices. Check
the HAL upstream git repo! Everything you need to setup Xorg device should go
into the related driver package.

And btw. IMO it's a stupid idea at all to do X configuration in HAL. Xorg
should have it own config store or config backend where all the options get
stored/handled. Especially calibration data (which is never generic and isn't
stored statically in HAL, you have to set it again and again after each
startup or for each new X session) or e.g. Wacom devices (which have 2, 3 or
more X device sections for a input device) are an example why X should handle
this itself (it can ask HAL for info about the hardware, but please not
more).

> imho pointing out the needed driver for a HW is the responsibility of
> hal while applying settings should likely be part of the driver package
> itself am i so wrong here ?

Since the settings and parameters can differ between the drivers the driver
should contains everything that's needed (incl. callouts, scripts, fdi, ...
whatever).

Danny