HAL not detecting my HID input devices?

Tomas Lund tlund at nxs.se
Mon Apr 20 01:11:49 PDT 2009

When X.org in Debian unstable switched to using HAL for detecting all
HID-devices, my mouse and keyboard stoped working.

I quickling narrowed the problem down to the fact that HAL does not seem
to find them. Setting AllowEmptyInput to false and adding back my old
definitions to /etc/X11/xorg.conf works around this problem, but I would
like to use HAL instead :)

According to the webpage at
http://wiki.debian.org/XStrikeForce/InputHotplugGuide I am supposed to see
my keyboard with "lshal | grep xkb" but I dont have any input devices at
all!?

I am at a complete loss as to where to start looking. My computer is a
Thinkpad T41 running Debian unstable under a custom 2.6.25 kernel. I dont
have any external mouse/keyboard attached, its just the built in keyboard
and trackpoint (touchpad disabled in BIOS)

The output of "/usr/sbin/hald --daemon=no --verbose=yes" and "lshal" are
available at http://tlund.pp.se/hal/ Please let me know what other info
you need to help me diagnose this problem and I will supply them.

Best regards,
Tomas Lund