Access restriction for ssh'd login

Martin Pitt martin.pitt at ubuntu.com
Mon Jan 19 10:26:37 PST 2009

Hello Dieter,

Dieter Jurzitza [2009-01-17 18:06 +0100]:
> I've understood that for some reason openSUSE development team decided to
> restrict remote access to devices through ssh'ed logins.

Disclaimer: I don't know details in OpenSUSE, but if they are using
libpam-console, you should have a ConsoleKit session like the
following:

Session27:
	unix-user = '1000'
        [...]
	active = FALSE
	x11-display = ''
	x11-display-device = ''
	display-device = '/dev/ssh'
	remote-host-name = 'myhost'
	is-local = FALSE
	on-since = '2009-01-19T18:24:30.580979Z'

I. e. a non-local session.

> As this is bad (IMHO) and very annoying for me, I thought I could probably ask
> on the list if some nice guy could tell me how to circumvent this, whether
> there is a simple means in order to make hald think that an user that logged
> in from remote via ssh is treated just the same as a locally logged in user.

You can use polkit-gnome-authorization or polkit-auth to give the
PolicyKit privileges that you need (e. g.
org.freedesktop.hal.storage.mount-removable) to your user, or
generally allow it for non-local sessions as well.

Martin